Some people say the human race came from Mars before having settled (and thus bio-engineered life forms already here) on Earth and now intends to “return home” to Mars. Others argue, humans have evolved from single cell organisms right here on Earth and now “reach out for the stars” with Mars possibly just being a first destination to settle on other planets.
In a paper titled “The Philosophical Transactions“, Sir William Herschel described the many similarities between his own planet and Mars:
Sir William Herschel
Because Mars was so much like Earth, Herschel was convinced that the red planet teemed with populations of living creatures. Some scientists shared his viewpoint, while others thought it was nonsense.
Well, we don’t know that for certain just yet. Fact is, Humanity has been fascinated by Mars since long before we stepped foot on the Moon. Our planetary neighbor has been the subject of innumerable works of sci-fi and inspired countless dreams of adventure and exploration.
Whatever the case may be, let alone the idea of human settlement on another planet is rather fascinating, isn’t it? For this – and certainly other reasons too -, NASA is on a journey to Mars, with a goal of sending humans to the Red Planet in the 2030s. That journey is already well under way.
Shedding some light
- The biggest thinkers from around the world answer the question: “Why Should Humanity Go to Mars?”
- It’s at least a 7-months journey and probably a one-way trip… Would you go if you could never come back?
The biggest thinkers from around the world answer the question: “Why Should Humanity Go to Mars?”
It’s at least a 7-months journey and probably a one-way trip… Would you go if you could never come back?
- How to we get there in the first place? How will we do it?
IMAX documentary “Roving Mars”
National Geographic LIVE
SpaceX Interplanetary Transport System
- Human Mission to Mars on Wikipedia
- Human Settlement on Mars by Mars One
- NASA Mars Exploration Program
- NASA Journey to Mars Overview
- Going 2 Mars: Why Humans Aren’t There Yet
- Elon Musk’s PDF: Why Mars? (40MB)
- Mars 2030 – Virtual Reality Experience
- Mars, the 4th planet from the sun
- Mars One Dot Com
Subscribe to → Mars RSS Feeds