The Universe is all of space and time (spacetime) and its contents which includes planets, moons, minor planets, stars, galaxies, the contents of intergalactic space and all matter and energy. The size of the entire Universe is still unknown.
The Universe can be defined as everything that exists, everything that has existed and everything that will exist. According to our current understanding, the Universe consists of spacetime, forms of energy (including electromagnetic radiation and matter) and the physical laws that relate them. The Universe encompasses all of life, all of history and some professionals suggest that it even encompasses ideas such as mathematics and logic.
We know only about 5 per cent (or so we currently and conceitedly believe as we state the very same figure for The Earth‘s explored and charted oceans) of the Universe and the remaining 95 per cent is still a mystery. So, we do not know much about the universe – let alone anything beyond it. But then again: Could there possibly be anything beyond the Universe?
The Big Bang
The most popular theory of our universe’s origin centers on a cosmic cataclysm unmatched in all of history – the big bang. This theory was born of the observation that other galaxies are moving away from our own at great speed, in all directions, as if they had all been propelled by an ancient explosive force. Before the big bang, scientists believe the eintrie vastness of the observable universe, including all of its matter and ratioation was compressed into a hot, dense mass jsut a few millimeters across. This neary incomprehensible state is theorized ot have existed for just a fraction of the first second of time.
Big bang proponents suggest that some 10 billion to 20 billion years ago, a massive blast allowed all the universe’s known matter and energy – even space and time themselves – to spring from some ancient and unknown type of energy. The theory maintains that, in the instant – a trillion-trillionth of a second – after the big bang, the universe expanded with incomprehensible speed from its pebble-size origin to astronomical scope. Expansion has apparently continued, but much more slowly, over the ensuing billions of years. Scientists can’t be sure exactly how the universe evolved after the big bang. Many believe that as time passed and matter cooled, more diverse kinds of atoms began to form, and they eventually condensed into the stars and galaxies of our present universe.
The James Webb Space Telescope is a space telescope designed primarily to conduct infrared astronomy. As the largest optical telescope in space, its greatly improved infrared resolution and sensitivity allow it to view objects too early, distant, or faint for the Hubble Space Telescope. The JWST has four key goals:
- to search for light from the first stars and galaxies that formed in the universe after the Big Bang
- to study galaxy formation and evolution
- to understand star formation and planet formation
- to study planetary systems and the origins of life
But what do we actually know about our universe? Somewhere between nothing much and nothing, I’m afraid. We have hardly been able to somewhat explain the Solar System and The Earth but that’s about it. Perhaps continuous Space Exploration might support our Quests in searching for and attempting to achieve so many things that are difficult (impossible in some cases) to find or accomplish.