Ever wanted to write and maintain your own web page but were lost in translation? Let me briefly introduce you to how it works and what you need to consider. Basically, there are three points to think of:
Get a domain and register it: (world wide web).your-domain.(top-level domain). Mine is: ericroth.org whereas .org is my chosen top level domain in the domain name system. To such a hosted domain, you then upload your website content. This content, you first write in a combination of the following:
2. Your Side
- With HTML (5 currently being the latest evolution) you can create your own Web site.
- CSS (3 currently being the latest evolution) is a language that describes the style of an HTML document. CSS describes how HTML elements should be displayed.
- W3.CSS is a modern CSS framework with built-in responsiveness:
- Smaller and faster than other CSS frameworks.
- Speeds up and simplifies web development.
- Supports modern responsive design (mobile first) by default.
- Provides CSS equality for all browsers. Chrome, Firefox, IE, Safari, and more.
- Provides CSS equality for all devices. PC, laptop, tablet, and mobile.
- AngularJS extends HTML with new attributes. AngularJS is perfect for Single Page Applications (SPAs).
- With AJAX (the search fields in this site are AJAX driven; no need to hit enter), you can:
- Read data from a web server – after the page has loaded.
- Update a web page without reloading the page.
- Send data to a web server – in the background.
- Designed to speed up application development.
- Designed for all devices: PC, tablet, and mobile.
- AppML stands for Application Modeling Language. AppML runs in any HTML page. No installation is required. AppML is a tool for bringing data to HTML applications:
- From objects
- From files
- From databases
3. Server Side
- SQL is a standard language for storing, manipulating and retrieving data in databases.
- PHP is a server scripting language, and a powerful tool for making dynamic and interactive Web pages.
- ASP stands for Active Server Pages. ASP is a development framework for building web pages.
Keep It Simple & safe
To ease your life, you may opt for one of the web-hosting services featuring a drag-and-drop website builder. They also include the hosting of your domain and website. If you wanted to do the writing by yourself though, you may choose one of these templates to get started with and adapt them to your own need and taste. Here again, you host by yourself or have it hosted with an appropriate service.
Whatever option you choose, do never underestimate the possible Hacking & Spamming happening to approx. 30 K websites around the globe daily.
Once Live: Testing
Make sure your website works the way it should or at least you want it to. Here are some very useful online testing tools for your perusal:
- Web Page Test→ Test a website’s performance
- Link Checker→ Check links and anchors in Web pages or full Web sites
- Nu HTML Checker→ Checks HTML documents
- CSS Validation Service→ Check Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
- Markup Validation Service→ Check the markup of Web documents
- Internationalization Checker→ Is your page world ready?
- Feed Validation Service→ Check the syntax of Atom or RSS feeds
I have put this site to the tests and it validates meaning that I have taken the care to create an interoperable web site. → W3C