AUM (ॐ) is the vibration by which the Supreme Spirit brings all things into manifestation. Even though the variant spelling in English is “OM”, AUM is more accurate.
- The “A (Akaar)” represents the cosmic creative vibration, and should be pronounced short, as in the first “a” in “afar,” rather than long as in “arm.” When this sound is heard in meditation, it has the highest pitch of the three.
- “U (Ukaar)” is the cosmic vibration of preservation and pronounced “oo” as in “moon”. It maintains all creation in a state of equilibrium. This sound, when heard in meditation, is pitched somewhat lower than the first.
- “M (Makaar)” represents the vibration of cosmic dissolution, which draws all creation back into the Absolute at the end of a universal cycle. The time allotted to cosmic manifestation is known as a Day of Brahma, and spans a period of billions of years. This vibration of the AUM sound, when heard in meditation, is pitched lowest of all, like a deep rumbling.
The AUM Symbol
The AUM symbol (in Devanagari) consists of three curves, one semicircle and a dot. These are symbols of each person’s self and potential.
The Gayatri Mantra
Generally, a song or a recitation has higher attraction than a poem or a statement. The attraction increases gradually from statement to poem to song to recitation. Therefore, any song or recitation related to a Deity/Devine Being that attracts your mind to the highest order and makes you repeat it again and again is called a Gayatri Mantra. Hence, it is said that Gayatri is the highest mantra. It means that the prayer to a Deity/Devine Being in the form of a song or a recitation is (and has) the highest attraction.
Gayatri Mantra allows one to positively influence the environment and to use energy for welfare of the world. Ignorance, infirmity and inadequacy are removed. Gayatri Mantra develops a feeling of peace, makes one aware of a new power that is working from within.
What is a Mantra?
Mantra constitutes to these verbs: 1) mananaat and 2) trayate.
- The first verb means that your mind must be continuously attracted towards a statement or a poem or a song or a recitation that makes you repeat it again and again without any trace of effort.
- The second verb means that such a statement or poem or song must be related to a Deity/Devine Being and hence, it gives you perfect protection from all corners, everywhere and everytime.
Therefore, the definition of Mantra is a statement or a poem or a song or a recitation which is related to a Deity/Devine Being and attracts your mind spontaneously to make it repeat again and again without any trace of effort.
Shamanic Drums & OM Chants
Shamanic Drumming is rythmic form of drumming. Its purpose is to induce a range of ecstatic trance states in order to connect with the spiritual dimension of reality. The power of Shamanic drumming is also especially pertinent in the case of those with dementia where anxiety and agitation are common symptoms.
The Deepest OM 108 Times
Why 108 times? Malas, or prayer beads, come as a string of 108 beads. A mala is used for counting as you repeat a mantra, similar to the Catholic rosary. There are also 108 Upanishads and 108 marma points. Marma points are energy points in the body used for healing in Ayurveda. Compare it to acupuncture points in Chinese Medicine.